Hachiroku.net | Forums
Go Back   Hachiroku.net | Forums > Main Category > Tech and Performance > Reviews/Guides/Worklogs
Reload this Page OST-016: Supporting one who supports us

(#1) Old
oldeskewltoy

Default OST-016: Supporting one who supports us - 02-06-2012, 02:27 PM

Picked up this past Saturday.........

Send a message via Yahoo to oldeskewltoy  
  (#2) Old
82te72

Default 02-06-2012, 04:02 PM

i might have a head for you to take a look at this summer, mainly needs port matching and making sure its all flowing properly. but there isnt much more room for porting i dont think.

(#3) Old
oldeskewltoy

Default 02-06-2012, 05:11 PM

I'm easily found........

I've titled this head build Supporting One Who Supports Us..... He is overseas... He is currently stationed overseas, and should be home by spring KEEP your head down!!!
  (#4) Old
oldeskewltoy

Default 02-06-2012, 07:20 PM

Ok... lets play a little game.

How much information is in just these 3 photos + the one in Grunt's trunk that tell us something... and how much is just a repeat of normal... normal

Each view offers us information, it is up to us to "read" it.

So tell me what you see????
  (#5) Old
Miura

Default 02-06-2012, 10:59 PM

Dan always having fun with his little head games...

1986 Corolla GTS 103hp/94 lb-ft
1993 Saturn SW2

(#6) Old
oldeskewltoy

Default 02-07-2012, 01:01 PM

Did anyone notice the WRONG bolt in the front cam cap exhaust side?

Did anyone notice the 5 spoke cam pulleys? I know the 5 spoke pulleys were newer than the AE86 version of the 4AGE... that would make it mid to late aw11 production??? (If original)

An interesting question to ask/still to be answered... since they are 5 spoke timing pulleys, are those early cams(204@.050" 7.5mm lift) or are they later cams (198@.050" 7.1mm lift) ?????

How close did you check the exhaust side? Did you see the oil galley plug? Is it an early type(screw in) type, or is it a later (pressed-in ball) type? Do you know WHAT an oil galley plug is??

Lets try again... here are a few other photos.... what do these tell you???

For example... did the owner manitain this engine well? Did he change the oil often? Can you tell if the oil level ever was low?

In this view... has this head been cut yet? Many times?

Looking at the valves, would you say this engine had many miles? Why?
  (#7) Old
burdickjp

Default 02-07-2012, 01:17 PM

If this customer wants any parts to go with that build, let me know. They're his at cost.

From a vet to a servicemember.

(#8) Old
oldeskewltoy

Default 02-07-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_siller View Post
If this customer wants any parts to go with that build, let me know. They're his at cost.

From a vet to a servicemember.
  (#9) Old
Grant

Default 02-08-2012, 03:09 AM

That's awesome Jeff

(#10) Old
oldeskewltoy

Default 02-08-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by member of another forum
it's actually an ae92 head.

the water outlet on the first picture gives it away.... it's not a smallport so 88-89.

Given that it's a bigport it's probably a US engine -- can tell based on the coloration of the head.... there isn't much oil built up on the cam caps (though there usually isn't on bigports).

Doesn't look like there were any major oil leaks.... except there was a bit of a dizzy leak.

As usual there was an issue with the manifold - there is some exhaust soot built up on the exhaust side.

The valves don't look damaged... but there is definite build up... guessing those are the intake valves and cheap gas was used or the rings weren't exceptional and there was additonal blowby & oil was coming in through the TB/intake.

The head mating surface comparison photo.... comparing to a smallport head.

Thank you for playing our game!!!!!

Also... thank you for the specifics on the head itself. I'm not as educated on the transverse applications as I should be

Being that it is for an AE92 application, then the 5 spoke timing pulleys likely belong with the head.... I wonder... are they 204@.050" 7.5mm lift cams, or are they 198@.050" 7.1mm lift cams

The head surface is indeed compared to a smallport, but the surface shows a DEEP cut, I used that DEEP cut view to show that this head is either uncut, or minimally cut.

It's Amazing... when you are grungie... how much better you look once you've taken a shower......

OST-016 ready for work...

intake side...

exhaust side...

some built up carbon remains, this will be removed as work progresses

and finally...

before........

and after........ a good cleaning